On Costume Safety:
- Add reflective tape to costumes and trick-or-treat bags.
- Use flame-resistant costumes.
- Use face makeup instead of masks, which can cover their eyes and make it hard to see.
- Make sure trick-or-treaters have a flashlight.
- Visit only the homes that have a porch light on. Accept treats at the door--never go inside.
- Walk only on the sidewalks, not in the street. If no sidewalk is available, walk at the edge of the roadway, facing traffic.
- Look both ways before crossing the street, and cross only at the corner.
- Don't cut across yards or use alleys. Don't cross between parked cars. Be cautious around strange animals, especially dogs.
- Make sure the outdoor lights are on.
- Sweep leaves from sidewalks and steps.
- Clear the porch or front yard of any obstacles that a child could trip over.
- Restrain pets.
Enjoy and be safe! \m/ (^v^) \m/